Sunday, January 15, 2012

Little League Fantasy Ball

As some of you know, last year I had the privilidge of being invited to tryout for the Seattle Mariners. There were about fifteen guys who participated and we went through a series of fielding, throwing, hitting and timed sprints. Little came of it for me, but that's not the point, I was a full ten years older than one other prospect and I was just happy to be there. I only bring it up because yesterday I took my son to his little league pony baseball "evaluations" and the event was strikingly similar to my experience with the Mariners. FYI, my son is only six years old.

When I got to the park at 8 AM, there were about seventy kids all lined up with marathon like numbers attached to their backs. I took my son, Isaac, to the check in table, got his number and put him in line. The coaches had clipboards with prepared printed packetts for taking notes on each of the player's skill level. I was shocked at the charade. I thought to myself "this is where kids are supposed to LEARN how to play the game." It was nothing like when I played little league. This league had taken a division that was supposed to be instructional and turned it into fantasy baseball for the coaches.

Isaac played in the league for his first ever baseball season this past fall, but it was nothing like this. I offered my services as assistant coach then, and I admit, there were a few kids on the team who I thought could never get it right. These kids provided a delighful surprise and showed me that a little sincere encouragement and sound, fundamental based instruction can go a long way. THAT is what little league is about. Helping kids overcome tough task, teaching them they can achieve if they try and having fun. Not how well you can draft a team from a pool primarily full of newbies.

Hopefully, the season doesn't play out the way I forsee it. I'm happy to say Isaac did very well in the tryouts. He's quickly becoming recognized as one of the best hitters in the league. Good thing I was there to negotiate his contract. It may be hard not to take a page out of Cecil Newton Sr.'s playbook. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment